Thursday, October 18, 2012

Baking Pies,A Hayride and A Walk in the Woods

Today I am linking up to the Thursday Eat Make Grow Blog Hop
I am also joining Deborah Jean's Dandelion House  for Farm Girl Friday. 


The week before last was Thanksgiving here in Canada and we celebrated in a big old farm family way! My mom asked if we could make the dessert. My cousin was making her prize apple pie, so I decided to make a couple of pumpkin pies and a couple of raspberry pies. 

I didn't grow any pumpkins this year, but the grocery stores are loaded with local grown pumpkins, so I started by roasting a couple of pie pumpkins for homemade pumpkin puree. I bought some fondant cutters and had a  lot of fun decorating the pie crusts with the them.



Aren't they pretty pies?


Last summer I picked so many raspberries that I am still making pies and smoothies from them. I didn't pick more than I needed for jam this summer, but now I am almost out and I wish I had put more in the freezer! Next year I will do better!


There was enough left after Thanksgiving that we were eating pie for breakfast for a week! We love pie for breakfast in this house - I usually add a big scoop of plain yogurt on mine - it is unbelievably tasty!


Every Thanksgiving my whole family - kids, grandparents, cousins and so on - go on our traditional hayride and walk in the woods. Living on a farm is great. We already have the tractor and wagon, we have straw for the sheep, lovely country roads and fields and acres of woods to explore.


Josi showed us a special place in a far away field - a giant oak tree with thousands of acorns scattered on the ground all around it.  Willow found some interesting bones that a hunter left. 



On the hayride, willow made a leaf hat for Beans. Beans doesn't look too excited about it in this picture, haha!

Beans and Willow are both wearing hats


We keep finding tons of this really cool fungus. It looks like coral, doesn't it?


Here is the whole herd. My whole family. We sure know how to make some awesome traditions. Can you tell which ones are us (Kathy, Peter, Josi, Niki and Willow)?


No comments: